Can you believe it's fall already? Leaves are changing color. The air is a bit more chilly and football is in fun swing. It all puts me in the mood for autumn food so here are two EASY recipes I thought you'd might enjoy. ~ Casey
Roast Pumpkin Lasagna recipe
- 2 Cups Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Egg, scrambled
- 1 sugar Pumpkin or Butternut Squash
- ½ medium-sized onion, white or yellow, chopped
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken stock/ water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Sage, dried 1/8 teaspoon or fresh chopped ¼ teaspoon
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
- Olive Oil
- 1 Box of Lasagna noodles
Directions:1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Bring water to a boil and then add the lasagna noodles.
3) Meanwhile, while the noodles are cooking, peel, deseed, and chop up the sugar pumpkin or squash, half an onion, and coat all with oil, salt, and brown sugar, and ¼ teaspoon sage and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Roast at 375 degrees F for 10- 14 minutes. When the pumpkin is fully cooked, add the garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Take out and allow to cool a little.
4) Scoop the pumpkin into a blender filling half-way each time and pureeing until smooth. Empty the contents into a bowl.
5) Separately, combine and stir the two cups ricotta, the mixed egg, ¼ cup parmesan, 1 cup of the mozzarella, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg in a bowl with a couple pinches of salt and a sprinkle of pepper.
6) Drain the noodles when done cooking according to the directions on the package.
7) Begin layering the lasagna by putting some oil on the bottom of the baking dish. Then add a layer of pumpkin, then add a layer of noodles, then add a layer of the ricotta and mozzarella mixture, another layer of noodles, pumpkin mixture, and so on, alternating ricotta mixture and pumpkin layers. The top should be noodles, cover with the remaining shredded mozzarella and the rest of the parmesan and drizzle with oil. Cover with baking dish with foil.
8) Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional five minutes.
Pumpkin Fudge recipe
Ingredients:2 cups sugar
½ cup pureed cooked pumpkin
½ cup evaporated milk
¼ teaspoon cornstarch
¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
¼ cup butter
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
- Combine sugar, pumpkin, milk, cornstarch and spice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook until it forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water, or until reaches 236°F. Remove from heat
- Add the nuts, butter, and vanilla; beat until mixture is creamy.
- Pour into a buttered plate and allow to cool. Cut into small chunks and serve.