Thursday, April 17, 2014

Dalton Diaz, Redux

I came across my very first NAC post today, and thought it would be fun to repost it - OMG, 4 years later? Has it really been four years?

So what has changed? Let's see:
Cara McKenna came back from vacation and is now a retired Naughty Author Chick, off doing the famous author thing. (Waving hi!)
Those teenmonsters are finishing up their freshman year of college.
American Idol went right back in the crapper after Adam Lambert's year, but we now have The Voice to make up for it.
TiVo will record more than 2 shows at once.
I have quite a few more books in the hopper, although poor Seth has yet to see his story. Working on it, I (we) swear!

So here it is, my very first post on Naughty Author Chicks that debuted January 14th, 2010:


Hey there, I’m Dalton Diaz, and I’ll be alternating Thursdays with Cara McKenna, but it will only be me until February 11th. That’s when she gets back from the best vacation EVER! I’d insert something spiteful from envy, but she’s really nice and funny as hell (and not afraid to hurt me), so Cara, have a fabulous time and bring back lots of inspiration.

So I’m sitting here trying to come up with something naughty to introduce myself, but there is only one thing on my mind after Tues. night.

My name is Dalton Diaz, and I am an American Idol addict.

Don’t get me wrong; this is not an all-consuming addiction. At least not until it gets down to about the top 12 contestants. In fact, I find most of it tedious and often cruel until that point. And replacing Paula Abdul with Ellen Degeneres? Love the woman, but really? I can’t see it working, and I can only hope I end up eating my words.

In truth, Idol almost lost my family as fans. After the Sinjaya debacle, we’d given up hope that the show would be about the talent. So what changed it for us?

Adam Lambert.

Big surprise, right? He’s beautifully, unapologetically gay, and after co-authoring Illegal Moves (with Samantha Cayto) featuring a bisexual secondary character who steals the show, it’s no secret on which side of the fence my ass is firmly planted. But this is a singing competition. S-I-N-G-I-N-G.

I can still remember the exact moment Adam rocked my world. I had to watch the show alone because DH was on a business trip and the teenmonsters had lost interest, when Adam lit up the stage with his presence (and background flames) and belted out a version of Ring of Fire that had my jaw on the floor. I TIVOed it. I watched it repeatedly. I called DH & told him to make sure he caught the show when it hit his time zone. He didn’t. I played it for him when he got home and his jaw hit the floor. We watched it repeatedly and played it for anyone who stepped foot in our house.

The thing is, we are a musical family. OK, my DH, his family, my ancestors and offspring are musical. I’m tone deaf and do a mean Edith Bunker. DH even played in a band on Sunset Blvd back in the day. I had a stint as girlfriend/groupie/bar bitch. There are pictures. Anyhoo, after that Adam moment, all in the house began to gather to watch the show, to argue, to vote. Together. We geared up for the 2010 premier by watching 2009 in reruns on reality tv. (Unfortunately, I failed to set the Tivo to save more than 5 episodes of the original and that Ring of Fire performance disappeared. I’ve just gotten my TIVO privileges back, btw.)

Hey, I started off by warning you that I’m an American Idol addict. If you want to reach me, I can be found on the couch, in front of the TV on Tues. and Thurs nights. But don’t call. I’ll be with my entire family, having a great time.
You won’t be able to get through anyway. We’ll be voting.

3 comments:

Ash said...

Wow, 4 years? Who'd a thunk it?

Mai said...

Wow 4 yrs? More like yesterday! You only get better Dalton ��

Dalton Diaz said...

Aww, you guys are so sweet!